The following are frequently asked questions about WETA's vehicle donation program. For more information or to schedule your free pick-up service, call 1-888-400-WETA (9382). 

Does WETA handle everything for me? 

WETA is partnered with a company called CARS (Charitable Adult Rides & Services) based in San Diego, California. WETA and CARS have a contractual agreement to process all vehicle donations. CARS is owned and operated by a non-profit social service agency that works with many public broadcasting stations and other non profit organizations across the country in outsourcing their vehicle donation program. WETA screened CARS thoroughly for customer service policies and references and selected them among many organizations. They have been chosen because of their expertise, and all calls and issues will ultimately be referred to CARS. 

Do you only accept cars for donation? 

Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks and cars. If you are uncertain as to whether your vehicle is eligible please contact the WETA vehicle donation program toll-free at 1-888-400-WETA (9382). 

What does WETA do with donated vehicles?

The vehicles are sold at a private auction. The funds from the vehicle donations are used by WETA to support and produce quality educational and entertainment programs as well as to support our outreach efforts in our community. 

Does my car have to be running to qualify for donation? 

No, the car must have an engine, tires, and be towable. Cars that are in extremely poor condition or far from our tow range may have to be declined, as the cost to tow them may exceed the value of the vehicle. Call our customer service representative to find out if your vehicle qualifies. 

What paperwork do I need? 

The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. (Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.)

What if my car won't pass the state inspection?

We can accept vehicles without a state inspection sticker or current registration as long as there is a clear title.

What if I lost the title?

You will need to get a duplicate title and call us when you have received it. We cannot pick up your vehicle if you do not have the title. Unfortunately, neither WETA nor CARS can help you in this process. 

Do I get a receipt for my donation? 

Yes, our driver will issue a tow receipt at the time of pick-up. Please keep this tow receipt. It will indicate your name, the year, make and model, and the condition of the vehicle you are donating. 

Within 30 days of the sale of your vehicle, you will get a letter from us stating the amount we received from the sale of your vehicle. This letter, along with the tow receipt, will serve as the receipts for your charitable contribution. If your vehicle sold for over $500, you will also receive an IRS form 1098C with the letter. 

What can I claim as a deduction? 

If the sale of the donated vehicle exceeded $500, the taxpayer's deduction is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale, as reported on IRS form 1098C. If the sale is less than $500, consult your tax advisor about the amount you can deduct. 

Do I need to have my vehicle appraised?

You are not required to have vehicles appraised.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?

We try to make donating your car as simple and easy as possible. In some states, vehicles can be picked up the same day. Call our representative at 888-400-WETA (9382), or email to set an appointment. 

What do I need to do before the vehicle is picked up?

It is your responsiblity to take possession of the vehicle tags when the pick-up is made, as required by law. It is also your responsiblity to remove any registration, inspection or parking stickers or other items from the vehicle (including the trunk, cabin or glove box) as necessary, or as required by law. 

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.

Do I pay for the towing?

No, there is no charge to you for the towing. 

Do I become a WETA member by donating my car? 

You will become a member after your car is sold at auction and proceeds are credited to WETA. Your membership will be a one-year membership. It will take approximately six weeks to process your membership from the time you receive notification that your car has sold at auction. 

I donated my vehicle several weeks ago and I have not heard what it sold for. How can I find out? I need the information for my tax return.

Call our representative at 888-400-WETA (9382) and they will inform you where your vehicle is in the selling process. Keep in mind that the entire auction process and paperwork completion could take several weeks. But a phone call to our representatives will provide you the information you need, especially at tax time.