If you have suddenly lost over-the-air reception of television signals (some or all channels), you will need to rescan and/or double rescan your TV tuner.
Here's what to do:
Rescan – these are “generic” instructions and your TV may use different descriptions (for exact instructions, consult your TV owner’s manual; if you no longer have the manual, you can search online by typing “how to rescan my [Brand Name] TV”
- Go to the TV Menu on your remote control
- Select/find “Channel Setup” (or similar)
- Choose “Antenna” and/or “Air”
- Run “Auto Program” (or similar)
- Your TV may take roughly 3 to 15 minutes to find all the channels in your area
If rescanning does not work: Double Rescan (because sometimes a simple rescan does not work to recover lost channels)
- Disconnect your TV antenna from the television
- Rescan for channels (as above)
- Turn off the TV
- Reconnect the antenna
- Turn on the TV and rescan
Note: Digital TV signals are inherently unstable and subject to worsen under bad weather and other conditions. It is generally a good idea to double rescan your equipment regularly as it is common to lose digital signals.