In every city, “in-the-know” locals have favorite eating establishments that lend a distinctive flavor to the local community they represent. The Neighborhood Eats series — an exclusive WETA TV 26 production created for this region — highlights the special dining experiences and stories that capture the essence of Greater Washington. This 30-minute companion to the WETA Neighborhoods series features the culinary pleasures of Greater Washington areas Del Ray (Alexandria, VA), Silver Spring (MD), Adams Morgan/Mount Pleasant, and Southwest.
From established fine dining locales and cherished mainstays, to a new generation of up-and-coming restauranteurs, Neighborhood Eats discovers a vibrant collection of restaurants, cafes and chefs that are proud to call themselves local.
Featured in Del Ray (Alexandria, VA):
- Stomping Ground – Introducing customers to regional specialty ingredients, this café and biscuit house proudly displays its Southern roots.
- Evening Star Cafe – Boasting a rooftop produce garden, this popular community gathering spot truly embraces the “eating local” mantra, showcased in their monthly supper club.
- Lena’s Wood-Fired Pizza & Tap – This family-inspired restaurant boasts a floor-to-ceiling wood-burning oven for their thin-crust pizza, which boasts toppings both traditional and exotic.
Featured in Silver Spring, MD:
- La Casita Pupuseria & Market – Serving homestyle favorites including the pupusa, the national dish of El Salvador.
- Denizens Brewing Company – The craft brewery and beer garden catering to the diverse Silver Spring community.
- Urban Butcher – Nose-to-tail eating at its best, where meats are aged and butchered in-house with utmost care.
Featured in Adams Morgan/Mount Pleasant:
- Federalist Pig – American barbecue classics and sandwiches with a signature twist.
- Sakuramen Ramen Bar – This shop has perfected their ramen recipe over the years, infusing each bowl with the Korean flavors and tastes familiar to their owners.
- Pleasant Pops – Inspired by childhood memories, this homemade ice pop business pleases both adults and children at farmer’s markets across the region, as well as in their brick-and-mortar shop.
- Purple Patch – Featuring classic Filipino recipes and American comfort food popular with the local dining scene.
Featured in Southwest:
Station 4 – Modern American cuisine that is the perfect accompaniment to performances at nearby Arena Stage.
Cantina Marina – This waterfront spot features a relaxed outdoor patio that is world away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
# # #
WETA Television and Classical WETA 90.9 FM are public broadcasting stations serving the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia with high-quality programming. Classical WETA 90.9 FM brings classical music, concerts and specials to Greater Washington. As the leading PBS station in the nation’s capital, WETA Television broadcasts on four channels: WETA TV 26, WETA HD, WETA UK and WETA Kids. WETA Television celebrates the people and history of this region through programs such as WETA Around Town, WETA Extras and WETA Arts. For national PBS audiences, WETA Washington, D.C., is one of the largest-producing stations of new content for public television in the United States, with news and public affairs programs including PBS NewsHour and Washington Week; films by Ken Burns such as The Civil War and The Roosevelts: An Intimate History; and performance specials from the White House, the U.S. Capitol, and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. WETA creates leading public service websites such as www.ReadingRockets.org, www.LDOnline.org, www.ColorinColorado.org, www.AdLit.org and www.Brainline.org; and develops community outreach programs to engage people of all ages in the joy of lifelong learning. The WETA studios and administrative offices are located in Arlington, Virginia. Sharon Percy Rockefeller is president and CEO. More information on WETA and its programs and services is available at www.weta.org. On social media, visit www.facebook.com/wetatvfm on Facebook or follow @WETAtvfm on Twitter.
Olivia Wong, WETA Director of Public Relations, 703.998.2086, email@example.com