SVP Human Resources
Located in Arlington, VA, WETA is the leading public broadcasting station in the nation’s capital, serving the District of Columbia, northern Virginia and Maryland as well as parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
WETA is one of more than 330 PBS member stations throughout the country. The WETA television lineup includes WETA PBS, the station’s primary channel, and WETA Metro, featuring PBS favorites and programs that highlight the local community. On radio, Classical WETA 90.9 FM is the exclusive provider of classical music in Greater Washington.
WETA is the second largest producer of new content for public television in the United States, creating series and specials for a national audience. PBS NewsHour, with Amna Nawaz and Geoff Bennett as co-anchors is highly regarded for its credible news coverage, while Washington Week continues a rich tradition of insightful news analysis with moderator Yamiche Alcindor and a rotating panel of the top reporters in the nation’s capital.
Reporting to the EVP/COO, the SVP Human Resources will be a member of the senior management team responsible for developing an HR agenda that supports and aligns with the organization’s business goals and strategies. The SVP HR is responsible for all HR matters for approximately 400 employees plus freelancers. The leadership scope involves developing and implementing programs for staffing, employee relations, benefits, performance management, compensation, labor relations, compliance and professional development.
The SVP HR will lead an HR team of 5-6 and work closely with the recently-formed Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Council. Competencies desired include having the ability to establish credibility at all levels of the organization, a strong leadership profile, exceptional communication skills, and superior influencing skills.
KEY EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Human Resources or other related degree or equivalent experience preferred. SPHR preferred.
- Ten+ years of progressively responsible HR experience across all major functional areas, including at least five years at the Director/VP level. Familiarity with “HR best practices” that result in high levels of employee engagement, creativity and efficiency.
- Background in employee relations and labor relations preferred.
- Ability to assess and resolve complex employee relations issues. Excellent consulting, listening and facilitation skills. Practiced in discretion, with experience handling confidential matters.
- Knowledge of state/federal employment and benefit laws and regulatory requirements.
- Relationship builder that will quickly gain the trust of others.
- Knowledge of, or experience in, media and/or complex non-profit organizations is a strong plus.