Sr Director, Reading Universe
Full-Time, Grant-Funded for 18 months
Reports to: Senior Director, Learning Media
We’re looking to hire a Sr Director for our new national project, which we hope will become the definitive online guide to teaching reading and writing effectively. Reading Universe will be a state-of-the-art, research-based, video-rich service that provides systematic, comprehensive professional development. Reading Universe will primarily serve teachers in grades Pre-K-5th grade, along with reading coaches and other educators. As the Sr Director, you’ll be instrumental in refining our plan for which content to include in Reading Universe, deciding how it will be organized and presented; selecting the platform and software; building a prototype; producing and acquiring engaging content; and reaching out to prospective funders and key stakeholders for updates and feedback.
In an average week, you can expect to:
- Develop and produce, or oversee the production of, new online content, including articles, videos, and slideshows.
- Cultivate relationships with education organizations with a goal of acquiring and building a national base of support for Reading Universe.
- Work with our academic advisers, our partners and our teacher cadre to ensure that we are consistently refining our ideas about how Reading Universe can be as authoritative and user-friendly as possible.
- Contribute to grant proposals that enable us to sustain and expand Reading Universe.
What success looks like:
- After 60 days, you’ve immersed yourself in information about teaching reading effectively. You’ve established relationships with our three primary partner organizations. In consultation with others at WETA, you’ve begun to refine the technical requirements for Reading Universe with an eye toward selecting the best platform for Reading Universe. You’ve helped to refine our environmental scan of which other organizations are offering outstanding professional development for teachers online. And you’ve developed a fairly detailed plan for completing the many deliverables required by our current grants.
- After 120 days, you’re working more independently and are in regular communication with our partners, advisers, and our teacher cadre. You’ve ensured that we’re consistently producing and acquiring accessible, appealing, and authoritative content in collaboration with colleagues and outside contractors. You’re actively managing the project’s daily activities, anticipating the challenges we will face and ensuring that we complete our deliverables on time. You’re looking ahead to how we can best ensure that Reading Universe is widely adopted and used after launch, especially in Title 1 schools and in schools serving diverse communities.
You must have:
- Knowledge of online media production, publication, and distribution.
- Familiarity with reading research and the challenges facing teachers in grades Pre-K-5th.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Excellent project management skills.
- At least 7 years’ experience in online media production and publication.
You should have:
- College degree in a related field (writing, education, journalism, history, children’s literature), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in educational websites or professional develop focused on literacy and elementary education.
In your cover letter, tell us about your experience with education and/or media and how that might relate to this project. Also, please include one or two writing samples (either a link, or document upload).
Proof of full dosage of a COVID-19 vaccination is required for all positions that will be working onsite, or may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite.
Founded in 1961, WETA is Washington, DC’s leading public broadcasting station. As a PBS and NPR member, we not only serve the DC metro area with our local programming and classical radio station, but also the nation with Washington Week, PBS NewsHour, and our partnerships with Ken Burns and Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Our staff comes from very diverse backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common; we believe in our mission and the service we provide to the public.
We know there are great candidates who may have skills we haven’t thought about. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with disabilities.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.