Senior Engineer, Infrastructure and Security Management Operations
Full time, Non- Exempt, Regular
Reports to: VP, IT Operations
The Sr. Engineer, Infrastructure and Security Management Operations is primarily responsible for all aspects of WETA’s computing environment. This role will provide architecture, planning, design, risk mitigation, security oversight over all WETA information systems architecture, as well as working to implement these technologies in strong coordination with other tech team members, within IT, and also across TV, Radio, and NewsHour Productions. This is an operational position at WETA and requires a “hands-on” approach with a very wide range of complex computing systems expertise.
- Plan and implement network security and work with WETA’s security partners in continually reducing the threat landscape as well as meeting business objectives. This role will also guide and implement policy surrounding file permissions, backup and disaster recovery plans, file system integrity, and the onboarding and offboarding process with WETA users.
- Evaluate and/or recommend purchases of computers, network hardware, peripheral equipment, and software.
- Analyze utilization patterns and their effect on operation/system availability and performance expectations. Investigate, recommend, and install enhancements and operating procedures that optimize network availability.
- Anticipate communication and networking problems and implement preventive measures.
- Management of cyber insurance policy and security assessment duties as needed.
- Establish and perform maintenance programs following company and vendor standards. Ensure timely user notification of maintenance requirements and effects on system availability.
- Troubleshoot networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
- Support Help Desk team with senior level escalation responsibilities when needed, including any system within the WETA technology environment.
- Manage Patch Management and Vulnerability mitigation planning and strategies.
- Perform and/or oversee software installation and upgrades.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of current security frameworks and risk mitigation strategies.
- Proven experience in managing large computing environments with an eye towards business needs while promoting and enhancing security and operational excellence needs.
- Knowledge of computer networking systems and languages to include UNIX, Microsoft or similar computer networks. Knowledge of computing and network hardware and peripheral equipment.
- Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.
- Ability to identify and resolve computer system malfunctions and operational problems.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to provide technical training to end users.
- Ability to learn and support new systems and applications. Work with users requires interpersonal skills.
- Responsibilities may require evening and weekend work in response to needs of the systems being supported.
- Self-motivated, and able to analyze and resolve complex technical issues under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to make desired progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proactive in identifying and correcting information technology problems.
- Able to work well with existing management team, WETA staff at all levels, and external parties as needed.
- Ability to communicate with and understand the needs of non-technical staff. Strong customer service orientation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- College degree in Information Technology
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in networking and security management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the components necessary to configure and maintain a complex computing infrastructure located in multiple locations.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate new and existing technologies and implement technology solutions.
- Professional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.