Internship – National Productions, Special Projects Intern
Full Time, non-exempt
Spring 2024 (January 8 – April 19)
Reports to: Executive Producer, Special Projects
Description of Intern Work Responsibilities/Projects:
National Productions, Special Projects is currently in either the research and development or production phase for approx. 6 films as part of the Well Beings Campaign (WellBeings.org), which focuses on films that address youth mental health, rural health care, survival of childhood cancer, Caregiving, and more, plus an LGBTQ+ film and other projects planned through at least 2028. Each individual film will at some point require research, curation of news stories, outreach to affinity groups, development of campaign project advisory boards, and research for potential funders – corporations, philanthropists, and foundations. This candidate will:
- Research potential underwriters for National Productions projects
- Create/update/revise project decks and grids
- Note-taking during meetings
- Schedule & Maintain Calendars
- Write proposals and pitch letters
- Manage, maintain and organize documents in SharePoint
- Other office/administrative duties as needed and directed
- An opportunity to learn more about WETA films and projects
- An opportunity to learn essential elements of production research
- Gain new skills while supporting public broadcasting initiatives
- Contributing to social impact campaigns that raise awareness, educate, help to reduce stigma, and change the national conversation
Specific Skills Required:
- Ability to do research on the internet utilizing Media Radar, LinkedIn, etc.
- Basic knowledge of Excel
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-starter / Works well independently
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week for at least 6 months (schedule subject to change)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Pro CC
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Working knowledge of social media channels
- Strong organizational skills
- Communications/Public Relations
- Film Schools
- Marketing Programs
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.