Title: Manager, Donor Care and Volunteer Services
Status : Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Manager, Donor Care and Volunteer Services
The Manager, Donor Care and Volunteer Services is an outward-facing position with extensive interaction with WETA’s donors, volunteers and internal staff. The Manager will think strategically about donor engagement, working collaboratively to provide solutions to enhance the relationship of donors with WETA, increasing their retention on our donor file.
Primary duties include (1) stewardship of a donor‘s journey from contribution through acknowledgement to assure quality control of the gift cycle and other donor care efforts; (2) manage WETA’s volunteer program; (3) support for donor stewardship and cultivation efforts and other WETA events.
WETA has a hybrid work model (two days in office, possibly more to start, so high speed internet at home is essential).
- Manage backend of donor care processes to assure outstanding handling of each step of the donor life cycle including:
- Reach out to donors to verify/confirm intent on gifts and pledges. Create and maintain written documentation of related processes.
- Answer and respond to donor email and written correspondence. Record donor interactions in Development database to assure accurate reflection of donor and audience feedback for analysis.
- Administer processes for donor acknowledgements and tax receipts, including coordination with vendors and internal staff, checking data files, and managing creative needs.
- Provides data management for the monthly WETA Program Guide, coordinating with the Communications department.
- Ensure top quality for inbound On-Air Pledge calls into call center by monitoring calls and providing prompt feedback to call center manager.
- Manage sustainer recapture program, including automated email series on eCRM system, Engaging Networks and outbound scripted calls to support recapture program.
- Oversee WETA’s volunteer program:
- Recruit, screen, select, and place volunteers in assignments that match their interests and qualifications with organizational needs.
- Collaborate with WETA staff across the organization to identify, define and create new placement opportunities to expand the program’s impact.
- Engage existing volunteers, convert new volunteers to long-standing, active volunteers and recruit first-time volunteers.
- Enter/track volunteer work hours. Create and maintain written documentation as needed by program .
- Manage volunteers at events.
- Provide ongoing evaluation of Volunteer Services Program to determine effectiveness and impact of the program.
- Coordinate WETA Member events
- Working collaboratively with Membership and Communications staff, coordinate details of event execution and assist in day of planning needs for Member events.
- Coordinate invitation management and RSVP process, including briefing materials for executive staff as well as RSVP tracking in the donor database.
- Some event work may require weeknight or weekend commitment.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Outgoing, upbeat personality with the strong desire to assist and educate the general public.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Excellent organizational, project planning and time management skills with careful attention to detail.
- Strong research, internet and typing skills; experience with Microsoft applications and use of relational database(s).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent listening skills and ability to demonstrate compassion, professionalism, enthusiasm and cheerfulness even with the most challenging callers and volunteers.
- Knowledge of volunteerism and volunteer management practices.
- Knowledge of non-profit fundraising and the importance of donor retention preferable though not essential.
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Demonstrated results in solving problems with creativity.
- Strong customer service experience and approach to working with donors, staff and volunteers. Ability to blend sales and customer service approaches for outbound calls.
Interest in public broadcasting and the non-profit sector.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- College degree in marketing, education, business administration or liberal arts field.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in marketing, volunteer management, public relations, community engagement, or a similar discipline with extensive people contact.
- Outbound telemarketing or equivalent sales experience required.
- Inbound call center experience desired.
- Experience leading volunteers (or extensive experience as a volunteer) or employees preferred.
- Understanding of VoIP phone technology (use and management)
- Knowledge of public media television and/or radio programming and public media fundraising practices highly desirable.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WETA/NewsHour Productions is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. Fostering a culture of mutual respect is a top priority and something we take very seriously.
Employment at WETA/NewsHour Productions is based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, age, ethnicity or ethnic origin, religion or belief, sex (including pregnancy), physical, mental or sensory ability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to demonstrating fair and equitable systems, practices, and processes related to how we recruit, develop, retain, promote, reward, compensate, and terminate talent.
We know that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is fundamental to the success of our business and our people, and we will continue to recognize it as part of our guiding principles.