Jim Lehrer Fellow, PBS NewsHour
Supervisor: Senior Broadcast Producer
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Temporary
This one-year fellowship was created in honor of award-winning anchor, reporter, author, Jim Lehrer, co-founder of PBS NewsHour. The Fellow participates in the development and production of the PBS NewsHour. Primary responsibilities as assigned by Associate Broadcast Producer will be to: research national, international, and political news stories; gather editorial information and video elements; cover live events; generate story ideas; copy edit; assist with video editing; and produce broadcast and web content.
- Participate in the development and production of PBS NewsHour:
- Research issues and prepare background information for news segments.
- Produce video, sound and graphic elements that may include package production. Log and archive video feeds, maintain production notes and assist with editing.
- Organize scripts for live, daily broadcasts.
- Work with the web producer to produce content for the PBS NewsHour Rundown blog:
- Create web content and features including but not limited to interviews, podcasts, web chats, etc.
- Collaborate with outside sources on securing production elements related to program.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Demonstrated interested in journalism and/or television production.
- Knowledge of various research sources with particular emphasis on using the web as a research tool.
- Professional phone manner and solid administrative skills.
- Strong work ethic and effective time management.
- Knowledge of PBS NewsHour’s journalistic style.
- US Citizen.
- Recent graduate (within the past 6 months) of an undergraduate, or graduate program from an accredited school.
- Recipient of need-based financial assistance for college/university education.
- Two letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with your academic and/or journalism work.
- Autobiographical essay to be no longer than 400 words.
This is a one year long, paid fellowship.
Due to COVID-19, responsibilities may be assigned and completed remotely.
We know there are great candidates who may have skills we haven’t thought about. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with disabilities.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.