Internship – National Programming – Station Relations and Engagement Team
Full time, non-exempt
Compensation: $15.00 per hour
Summer (May 15, 2023 – August 18, 2023)
Reports to: Senior Director, National Impact & Engagement
Application deadline: 3/31/23
Description of Intern Work Responsibilities/Projects:
- Assist with the development and production of virtual events including national conversation events, system webinars, and producer/talent Q&As.
- Research potential engagement and education partnerships and initiatives.
- Support creation and distribution of enewsletters and station communications.
- Help create and update presentations for internal and external conferences, webinars, and team meetings.
- Support the coordination of the station funding support process including the preparation of RFPs, proposal submission forms, and tracking.
- Assist with the creation of station engagement clip reels, program assets, and accompanying discussion guides as needed.
- Assist with program carriage reporting; Assist with the updates and organization of team contact and distribution lists.
- Practical experience with a media organization, working with a collaborative team of professionals at various positions and levels of experience.
- Organizational and project management skills in a fast-paced environment with multiple deliverables.
- Establish interpersonal relationships through personal contacts on the job and employer evaluations.
- Working knowledge of public television industry.
Specific Skills Required:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with careful attention to detail.
- Ability to manage quickly changing priorities and meet daily deadlines.
- Ability to take direction from more than one manager.
- Initiative and flexibility, with an interest in performing a wide range of duties.
- Media, Communications, or Public Relations
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.