Full-Time, Regular, DGA covered position
Reports to: Senior Director, Production Center Operations and Production
As our Director, you’ll direct live, network productions for WETA, including Washington Week and PBS NewsHour, along with local and client productions. You must be comfortable under live, network pressure and display exceptional technical know-how, creative skills and leadership capabilities. You’ll work with management and executive producers on the development of WETA programs and special productions and assist with developing and implementing standard operating procedures.
What success looks like:
- After 60 days the successful candidate should be fully acclimated with the technical infrastructure, facilities, workflows and technical positions associated with control room/studio production. The candidate should have established strong communication skills with the productions’ producers and technical crews
- After 120 days the successful candidate will be fully capable of directing live, network productions – Washington Week, PBS NewsHour - under intense deadline pressure. Candidate will have established and maintained a highly professional and collaborative production environment.
You must have:
- Ten (10) years’ experience in studio/control room production.
- Five (5) years’ experience directing live productions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately.
- Availability to work irregular hours as needed.
You should have:
- Set design experience and skills are a strong plus.
- Experience with iNews.
Founded in 1961, WETA is Washington, DC’s leading public broadcasting station. As a PBS and NPR member, we not only serve the DC metro area with our local programming and classical radio station, but also the nation with Washington Week, PBS NewsHour, and our partnerships with Ken Burns and Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Our staff comes from very diverse backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common; we believe in our mission and the service we provide to the public.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.