Director, Human Resource Business Partner
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Human Resources
The Director, HR Business Partner provides strategic and tactical human resources business partnership to one or more business groups at WETA/NewsHour Productions. The position is a trusted advisor to business group leadership and an advocate for employees on people and organizational issues. The position oversees and directs the delivery of human resources solutions to the business, including; people strategy, DEI, culture and belonging, organizational efficiency and workforce planning. The Director, HR Business Partner is a member of the HR leadership team and will play a key role in developing, implementing and managing HR programs and processes across the organization.
Founded in 1961, WETA is the leading public broadcasting station in Washington, DC. Throughout our sixty-year history, WETA continues to expand our educational, cultural, news and public affairs impact through television programming, streaming, news, radio, student journalism, and community programs.
As a PBS and NPR member, WETA provides local and national television programs and services. WETA has been part of the production of the PBS NewsHour (first named “The Robert MacNeil Report” and then “The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer”) since its creation in 1973. PBS NewsHour is recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all through our nightly, one-hour broadcast reaching more than 300 PBS stations and 98 percent of the nation’s television households. Washington Week is our highly acclaimed weekly roundtable broadcast discussing current events with Washington, DC based journalists. With a continued focus on balanced journalism, PBS NewsHour sponsors the PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs connecting students with a network of public broadcasting mentors and an innovative journalism curriculum. WETA Classical Radio was founded in 1970 and provides commercial free classical music locally through its FM stations and globally via streaming.
- Key strategic advisor and business partner to one or more business groups within WETA and/or NewsHour Productions.
- Foster a culture of inclusiveness, openness, and equity along with championing organizational values and diversity.
- Build relationships at all levels of the organization reinforcing a culture where employees are seen, heard, valued and have an equitable opportunity to succeed.
- Lead strategic workforce planning including new talent needs and talent development.
- Partner with Recruiting to identify and onboard talent with a focus on increasing all aspects of diversity across the organization.
- Evaluate compensation needs and remediation strategies including internal equity and external marketplace assessment.
- Lead and manage employee relations issues within the business group.
- Coach business group leaders on change management, organizational effectiveness, leadership skills, teamwork, workforce strategy and positive employee management.
- Partner with the business group to identify learning and development opportunities aligned with the business group and corporate objectives.
- Effectively execute all enterprise Human Resources programs, initiatives and strategies.
- Manage HR employee data reporting for business groups.
- Lead and participate in enterprise-wide HR project work, partnering with peers across the organization to create and share systemic solutions to HR challenges.
- Develop innovative and creative solutions with a willingness to push and challenge for transformative work.
- Measure effectiveness of HR strategy and programs to ensure business effectiveness. Leverage data to craft insights that focus intentional action.
- Communicate with business group with a focus on employee experience and engagement.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Commitment to constantly refining and improving all areas of the organization.
- Ability to deliver exceptional human resources results, providing day-to-day support in a dynamic environment - role is both strategic and hands on.
- Experience working in transformative organizations with the ability to impact change.
- Innovative thinker who can respectfully challenge and build on the ideas of peers.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; ability to deliver information and insights quickly with appropriate details and correct pitch/tone for the audience.
- Expert listener; ability to connect with employees at all levels of the organization, understand the needs, and translate into appropriate action.
- High executive presence and integrity with the ability to exert influence within the organization by clearly expressing goals and initiatives that garner buy-in and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrated ability to apply HR knowledge to resolve complex business challenges
- Ability to adapt quickly to a competitive and changing business landscape. Must understand how to focus the organization on planning for tomorrow, not only on executing today
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 10 years of talent/HR leadership experience with sophisticated and progressive human resources organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Media, production or entertainment/news experience highly desirable.
- Experience working with collective bargaining units is desirable.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.