Audience Services Representative
Reports to: Executive Director, Development Operations
We are looking to hire an Audience Services Representative. In this role, you’ll serve as the frontline customer service representative to WETA’s members, viewers and listeners. If you enjoy problem solving (like jigsaw puzzles), have some knowledge and appreciation of PBS programs, and are interested in a wide-array of current events, this position is for you.
Your duties will range from helping with questions and concerns on WETA’s fundraising program; problem-solving and assistance with WETA Passport (our membership video on-demand streaming service); and with information about WETA’s television and radio programs. When appropriate, you’ll market the benefits of WETA membership to inbound callers. Occasionally, once it’s safe to do so, represent WETA at workplace giving and/or other fundraising or outreach events, and strike an overall balance in advocacy for WETA’s best interest with the needs and best interests of its constituents. Since you’ll be working from home, access to high-speed Internet in the home is required for this position.
In an average week, you can expect to:
- Respond to member and/or audience inquires via phone, email, and mail (including any necessary research).
- Accurately record all member/audience interactions in our database.
- Check, complete, and follow through on ad hoc items, such as data clean up, premium delivery, and other items where the donor does not directly contact Audience Services.
What success looks like:
- After 60 days, you’ll be proficient using our databases and able to accurately diagnose problems and understand why the caller is contacting us. You’ll know how to help with WETA Passport and solve core Membership and Sustainer questions and problems.
- After 120 days, you’ll have mastered use of our databases and have moved beyond a basic understanding of Membership/Sustainer topics and able to raise questions about an oddity with an account. You’ll also be comfortable asking donors to upgrade giving and understand the “whys” of what we do.
You must have:
- Outgoing, upbeat personality, with a strong desire to provide top notch customer service.
- Experience downloading and using video streaming apps with a basic understanding of how to sign in a search in the app.
- Strong research, internet, and typing skills; experience with Microsoft applications.
- Ability to display compassion, professionalism, enthusiasm, and cheerfulness with even the most challenging callers; excellent communication and listening skills.
You should have:
- Minimum of two years of front-line telephone, front desk, retail, restaurant, or other customer service experience; college degree in public relations, communications, or other related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Database/data entry experience preferred.
Founded in 1961, WETA is Washington, DC’s leading public broadcasting station. As a PBS and NPR member, we not only serve the DC metro area with our local programming and classical radio station, but also the nation with Washington Week, PBS NewsHour, and our partnerships with Ken Burns and Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Our staff comes from very diverse backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common; we believe in our mission and the service we provide to the public.
We know there are great candidates who may have skills we haven’t thought about. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with disabilities.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.