WETA is a not-for-profit organization and a 501(c)(3) public charity. We hold community broadcasting licenses in the District of Columbia, a privilege that is at the heart of our commitment to the Washington area. WETA is a joint licensee with rights to broadcast public radio and television programming.
We aspire to be transparent to our viewers, listeners, donors and community. Information is posted here as soon as it becomes available and can be downloaded using Acrobat Reader.
Report to the Community
Learn about the station's recent achievements by downloading WETA's Report to the Community. To receive a printed copy, please contact us or call 703-998-2724.
- FY 2013 Report to the Community (4MB PDF) | Credits and Trademarks (257KB PDF)
- FY 2012 Report to the Community (4MB PDF) | Credits and Trademarks (106KB PDF)
IRS Form 990 and Form 990-T filings
The IRS Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax, is the annual federal information return filed by charitable organizations that are exempt from income tax. The amounts in these statements are presented in accordance with IRS regulations.
- July 2012 - June 2013: FY 2013 IRS 990 (711KB PDF)
- July 2011 - June 2012: Amended Final FY2012 IRS 990 (1.1MB PDF)
- July 2010 - June 2011: FY 2011 IRS 990 (4.5MB PDF)
- July 2009 - June 2010: FY 2010 IRS 990 (560KB PDF)
WETA engages in several activities that are unrelated to its charitable purpose, generally involving the sale of small amounts of excess capacity. WETA pays income tax on any earnings derived from these activities with Form 990-T, the Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return.
- July 2012 - June 2013: FY 2013 IRS 990-T (523KB PDF)
- July 2011 - June 2012: FY 2012 IRS 990-T (702KB PDF)
- July 2010 - June 2011: FY 2011 IRS 990-T (417KB PDF)
- July 2009 - June 2010: FY 2010 IRS 990-T (728KB PDF)
Audited Financial Statements
WETA operates on a July 1 - June 30 fiscal year. WETA's financial statements are audited annually by a certified public accounting firm. Financial statements include a Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activities, and Statement of Cash Flows, and should be read in conjunction with the Notes to Financial Statements.
- FY 2012 Independent Auditor's Report and Financial Statements (1.6MB PDF)
- FY 2011 Independent Auditor's Report and Financial Statements (1.7MB PDF)
- FY 2010 Independent Auditor's Report and Financial Statements (840KB PDF)
FCC EEO reports
The FCC EEO Report lists all WETA full-time vacancies filled during the reporting period and the employment outreach initiatives implemented by the station to serve our communities. WETA’s EEO Reports are available through the FCC’s TV Station Profiles & Public Inspection Files portal.
If your organization is interested in receiving regular notices of WETA's position openings, please contact the employment manager at 703-998-2759.
FCC Public Inspection File
The FCC TV Station Profiles & Public Inspection Files provides a collection of documents required to be maintained by all broadcast services.
For assistance with WETA's online Public Inspection File, please contact our legal department.
WETA Annual Diversity Report
In compliance with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting FY2013 Television Community Service Grant General Provisions and Eligibility Criteria, below are WETA's Annual Diversity Reports to satisfy the Diversity Eligibility Policy for the reporting period of June 30, 2013 through July 1, 2014. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting requires WETA to post this report.
FCC DTV Educational Activity Reports
The FCC DTV Quarterly Activity Station Report details the on-air information, programming and other activities provided by WETA regarding the DTV transition. The Federal Communications Commission requires WETA to post this report.